Thursday, February 16, 2017

Fate of the Tearling

By: Erica Johansen

I was so, so sad to finish off this trilogy with a book I didn't like. I spent time and energy reading these three books and so when the third book was such a huge disappointment, ack!

By the middle of the third book everything from Katie's perspective started to feel very now and very political. We must go back to another world since we don't know how to do abortions and we are running out of birth control. Really? Come on. And those pesky superstitious Christian folks. What will we do about them? This faith thing must be stopped. Sigh.

I am a Christian. I don't expect to read non-Christian books by non-Christian authors and have Christian themes in them. But I don't want to read fantasy and have political, earthly themes of the current day so obvious it brings me out of the fantasy world. I read fantasy because I'd like to experience a different world.

Can I say it felt as if the author just got bored by the third book? This isn't the first time I've read a currently written trilogy that, by the last book, just ran out of steam. I want the full deal. Like Lord of the Rings, I want a Return of the King which should be epic and amazing. This was not close. Characters that were in the beginning of the first book, and had bigger story lines, were left without closure. Existing characters that are still with us in the third book go sideways. New characters are introduced that I just didn't like. Can you say Katie?

I literally couldn't read for a full day after this book. I couldn't shake my disappointment.

Moving on...


No comments:

Post a Comment