Thursday, July 27, 2017

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

 Translator: Simon Armitage





A classic originally published before 1800: Classic Challenge


"One of the earliest great stories of English literature after Beowulf, Sir Gawain is the strange tale of a green knight on a green horse, who rudely interrupts King Arthur's Round Table festivities one Yuletide, challenging the knights to a wager. Simon Armitage, one of Britain's leading poets, has produced an inventive and groundbreaking translation that helps liberate Gawain from academia."

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It was okay, and a little strange. I loved the way this edition was laid out: one side original text, the other side translated. I'm glad I can check it off my list.


I do have a question though. This book was written before 1800, I'm not entirely sure it was published before then? I hope it was, otherwise it won't count.


No comments:

Post a Comment